Wednesday 25 April 2018

A Year of Movie Review in Traleetoday.ie - The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

This week marked the a year of McCann at the Movies featuring in popular local portal www.traleetoday.ie and what a year of film it has been! I've seen both Oscar and Razzie Winners, delightful family films, horror films that have been responsible for more than a few sleepless nights, some exceptional drama and some overwhelming blockbusters throughout the last twelve months.
Starting with Get Out last April, I've had great fun previewing and recording my views on what mainly has been an entertaining and solid year "at the Movies". Thanks to Dermot Crean for the opportunity to subject my ramblings to the Tralee masses and I hope readers have enjoyed reading my reviews as much as I have enjoyed writing them.
Here are a selection of a few of the good, the bad and the ugly amongst the vast amount of film consumed over the last year!

The Good:
Thanks to the brilliance of Jordan Peele, my column got of to a great start with possibly my favourite film of the year in Get Out, a game changing horror film that went on the deserved critical and commercial acclaim.
Read my full review here.



By a long way, the film that generated most traction on traleetoday.ie, Paddington 2 was the best family film of 2017 and hugely popular among all ages. A career resurrection for Hugh Grant and a wonderful story led to huge success in the box office it was hugely popular amongst local cinema goers.
Read my full review here.



One of the newest reviews written, the John Krasinski directed horror/thriller A Quiet Place had me reeling for days afterwards and it says a lot about the quality of horror film being produced currently that this is the second horror entry in the "good" column even though the genre is not one that I would regularly seek out!
Read my full review of the excellent feature here.



Honourable mentions also go to: Dunkirk, Cardboard Gangsters, Wind River, Detroit and All the Money in the World.

The Bad:


A self indulgent missed opportunity is how Murder on the Orient Express will forever be remembered by yours truly as Kenneth Brannagh failed to capitalise on a strong cast and big budget in a film that overwhelmingly disappoints.
Read my full review here




Dreary tiresome senses attacking blockbuster The Mummy starring Tom Cruise was the perfect example of the reboot that  nobody wanted and for good reason. Weak writing and some shocking CGI combine to make this one of last years worst!
Read my full review here.




The Ugly:

The worst film of my year in reviews by far, The Dark Tower is a jumbled, over ambitious mess with Matthew McConaughey in full on panto villain form with the only crumb of comfort coming in a performance by Idris Elba that was far more worthy of a film so bad. A bona fide turkey if ever there was one.
Read my "glowing" review here

No comments:

Post a Comment